Can you believe it? The holidays are here again! There's always so much to do to prepare for guests, travel, gifts and of course...food! To help you out in the food category we have a delicious recipe from our upcoming retreat chef, Carla Deazle.
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 Gala or Honey Crisp apples
- 1 1/3 cups of chopped onion
- 4-5 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1teaspoon pinches of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil
- Cut in half length wise and remove skin and seeds of the butternut squash.
- Remove the skin from apples and core and dice apples into small cubes.
- Place squash and apples on a baking sheet or pan and drizzle with oil, sea salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
- Roast squash and apples until soft at 400 degrees.
- Sauté onions with oil and salt until onions are translucent. Add cumin and ginger to onions
- Cut soft squash into cubes and sauté cubed squash and apples with onions and spices for 2 minutes. Add vegetable broth and simmer for 10 minutes
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender. Note: You can either blend soup until smooth or blend with leaving a few chunks of apple and squash.
Enjoy all the time with friends, family and food!
Carla Deazle began her journey with food at the young age of seven. At age seven she recognized her love for food, taste and healthy eating. Carla is a college professor who began her teaching career teaching high school English in public schools on Long Island and Brooklyn. She has been an educator in Adelphi University’s General Studies Program for eleven years. A Long Island native, she is an Adelphi graduate who earned her undergraduate degree in English and her graduate degree in Education and she is currently completing her doctorate with a focus in Education Policy in Higher Education. In addition to teaching, her culinary aspirations are sincere and she seeks to heal through wholesome eating. She’s studied Intensive Chef Training and Culinary Nutrition Certification both through the Natural Gourmet Institute. Carla Deazle continuously examines cooking techniques and explores various cultures through food. Her hope is for people to taste her distinct flavor palate and love of cooking and nutrition through her food.