The majority of my retreats as well as my soul session clients have presented with throat chakra blocks. They feel they lack creativity, they are afraid to express themselves and they feel fatigued and slightly depressed. But the great thing is that once they are aware of this "block" it brings them clarity and a solution!Do you wonder if your thyroid is blocked? Do you feel the following:
- Thinning hair
There could be many reason you have these symptoms, but one of the first things to check is thyroid function and blocking. It’s estimated that over 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease. Women are more likely to have thyroid problems, but men are not immune.
The thyroid gland is located in the throat, around the larynx and trachea, and typically is not visible from the outside. As the largest organ in the endocrine (hormone-secreting) system, it plays a central role in how efficiently you burn energy (calories) which means it is important for metabolism and weight management. Looking at the whole body, it plays a role in most every function of the body.
The thyroid produces the hormones T4 (thyroxine) and T3 (triiodothyronine). It produces T4 in much greater abundance than T3, but this is the inactive form and less bioavailable.
Our body converts T4 into the biologically available T3 but the process is complex and delicate. While hypothyroidism is associated with low T4 and T3 levels, T3 - the active hormone that we really use and need – is the one that usually dips the lowest. The thyroid also secretes Calcitonin which regulates calcium levels and bone metabolism.
1) A spike in autoimmune-related thyroid disorders
There’s general age-related sluggish thyroid, but most cases of hypothyroidism are rooted in immune dysfunction (namely Hashimoto’s and Graves’ disease). In these cases, the immune system produces antibodies that bind to healthy thyroid cells.
- Hashimoto’sdisease - The inflammation associated with Hashimoto’s is now the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the U.S. In those with Hashimoto’s, antibodies attack and destroy the thyroid cells, reducing T3 and T4 output.Symptoms of Hashimoto’s may include: fatigue, weight gain (weight loss can occur as well), constipation, depression, thinning hair, feeling cold and a heavy or irregular menstrual cycle.
- Graves’ disease - In the case of Graves’ disease, the antibodies bind to and overstimulate the cells increasing T3 and T4 output. This also throws the body off balance.Symptoms of Graves’ may include: insomnia, goiter (enlarged thyroid gland), frequently warm/hot, night sweats, anxiety, frequent bowel movements, weight loss and changes in menstrual cycle
2) Thyroid problems in the younger population
In the past, thyroid issues were known to arise when people hit their 40s-50s. Now many in the younger generation diagnosed as early as their 20s (and even in teenage and childhood years). This is correlated with the higher rate of autoimmune disorders we see today.
3) Thyroid Cancer
Thyroid cancer is the 9th most common type of cancer, with the number of new cases increasing by approximately 5.5% each year over the last 10 years. Still, it has a very high survival rate - almost 98%.
Risk factors include family history of thyroid cancer or goiter, and radiation exposure. It’s wise to wear a protective vest when receiving routine x-rays.
How to Balance Your Thyroid
Some people need thyroid medicine, but in many cases we find that they are able to reduce or even eliminate the need for meds with dietary and supplement intervention.
It takes a customized approach to get the right supplements together for the thyroid. Here we are focusing on supporting your thyroid with a diet that reduces inflammation in the gut and is full of foods that support thyroid health.
1) Target gut health. 70% of the immune system is in the gut so this is the first place we go when dealing with autoimmune-related thyroid problems.Here are some steps you can take to restoring gut health and stabilizing an overactive and confused immune system:
- Remove inflammatory foods such as sugar and other sweeteners, gluten and dairy. Research shows that gluten in particular is strongly linked to Hashimoto’s and Graves’.
- Keep your candida in check. Try a 14-day detoxifying cleanse.
- Know your food sensitivities. If your body is reacting to a certain food and you continue to eat it, it will wreak havoc on your immune system. Gluten, dairy, corn and soy are some of the most common food sensitivities, but the list of potential culprits is long and everyone is different. Take an EAV test or try an elimination diet to determine what you are reacting to. Then avoid those foods altogether or eat according to a rotation-diet plan.
2) Follow a gut-healing protocol. Incorporate bone broths and probiotic-rich foods (such as kombucha, kefir, sauerkraut) - critical for healing an inflamed, leaky gut and calming an overactive immune system. If you are not used to foods rich in healthy bacteria, start slowly.
3) Eat Thyroid-Supportive Foods. To improve thyroid function, eat foods from a diet high in selenium, iron, iodine and magnesium as well as a b-complex.
Here are some foods to consider including in your diet:
- Brazil nuts
- Sunflower seeds
- Fish (especially orange roughy, light canned tuna, cod)
- Nuts & seeds
- Red meat (lamb, beef, goat)
- Dried fruits (especially turkish apricots)
- Sea vegetables (a super-dose of iodine. discontinue if there is an adverse reaction)
- Potatoes (organic, skin-on)
- Dried prunes
- Iodized salt, or for a natural alternative - pink himalayan salt
- Nuts & Seeds
- Dark Chocolate (extreme dark chocolate cravings often indicate a deficiency in magnesium)
The Throat Chakra
The throat chakra focuses on intentional listening and mindful communication. In this section of our Mindful Mosaic program, you’re introduced to the healing activities and principles associated with spiritual growth and finding your own voice. Learn how to better communicate your needs as well as how to become a more effective listener. This section is all about speaking your truth.
Keep an eye on this little butterfly-shaped gland that regulates so many functions in your body. With healthy-gut habits in place and a diet rich in thyroid-supporting foods, you will go a long way toward preventing and even reversing thyroid disease. And mindful practices will keep the chakra center open!
Do you wonder if you have thyroid issues? Contact us for a patient consult for a health analysis. Feel whole again!
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE THROAT CHAKRA AT OUR UPCOMING CHAKRA RETREATS AND EVENTS:
SHOP THROAT CHAKRA HEALING TOOLS AND PRODUCTS:
Mindful Health™ is a holistic health company in New York City founded by Nicole Glassman. Our strong foundation in holistic medicine, emotional healing and natural lifestyle support helps our clients to heal, feel, and develop a more intuitive understanding of their bodies. We offer a variety of holistic health services, cleanses, and retreats that are fully customizable to suit individual needs - If you're seeking holistic health and nutrition services in NYC - we're here for you.
We believe there is typically more to the healing process than assessing one factor of health. Many ailments are rooted in emotional, environmental, and nutritional imbalances. Our aim is to create balance to introduce a better, all-natural wellness program that specializes in detoxifying the body, empowering the mind and healing the soul.